If you're interested in prostate cancer prevention, changes to your diet may help reduce your risk.
Tests and diagnosis
During active surveillance (watchful waiting) for prostate cancer, no medical treatment is provided; instead, the cancer is carefully monitored for changes.
Learn about the most common biopsy procedures and how they're used to diagnose cancer.
Bone scans can help detect bone disorders and hidden fractures.
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Prostate cancer screening: Find out about pros, cons of the prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test.
A PSA test is used to screen men for the possibility of prostate cancer. Learn about the benefits and risks of this controversial test.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Treatments and drugs
Find out what to expect as you prepare for chemotherapy treatment.
External beam radiation is often used for early-stage prostate cancer. It may be part of treatment for advanced or recurrent prostate cancer.
Radiation therapy is a common means of treating many types of cancer. Find out what to expect during your radiation therapy treatment.
Aug. 13, 2013
- Prostate cancer. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostatecancer/detailedguide/index. Accessed May 30, 2013.
- Ilic D, et al. Screening for prostate cancer. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD004720.pub3/abstract. Accessed March 4, 2013.
- Prostate cancer screening. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/prostate/basic_info/screening.htm. Accessed March 4, 2013.
- Moyer VA. Screening for prostate cancer: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force
Recommendation Statement. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2012;157:120.
- Hoffman RM. Screening for prostate cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 30, 2013.
- Prostate cancer. Urology Care Foundation. http://www.urologyhealth.org/urology/index.cfm?article=146. Accessed June 2, 2013.
- Advanced prostate cancer. Urology Care Foundation. http://www.urologyhealth.org/urology/index.cfm?article=149. Accessed June 2, 2013.
- Mohler J, et al. Prostate cancer — Clinical practice guidelines in oncology. The Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network. 2010;8:162.
- Crawford ED. Chemoprevention strategies in prostate cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 2, 2013.
- Moynihan TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 9, 2013.
- Castle EP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ. June 17, 2013.