Mayo physicians bring nationally ranked urologic and surgical expertise to prostate cancer care
Mayo Clinic offers strong expertise across the spectrum of prostate cancer care.
Men with prostate cancer who seek care at Mayo Clinic have access to a full range of treatment options. Your care team determines which treatments are most effective in your specific situation and works closely with you to choose the treatments that meet your needs and preferences.
Mayo Clinic doctors offer special expertise in several prostate cancer treatment areas.
Research shows that doctors who perform many prostate surgeries and work in medical centers that care for many men undergoing prostate surgery generally provide superior outcomes.
Mayo Clinic offers both open and robotic radical prostatectomy surgeries.
Mayo surgery team performs a robotic prostatectomy
Mayo Clinic has extensive experience in robotic prostatectomy.
Nationally recognized expertise
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for urology in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings, and is nationally ranked among the best hospitals for cancer care. Additionally, Mayo Clinic in Phoenix, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the best hospitals nationally for cancer care.
July 25, 2017
- Prostate cancer. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Jan. 21, 2017.
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. http://wwwclinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 21, 2017.
- Gunderson LL, et al. Prostate Cancer. In:Clinical Radiation Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clincalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 20, 2017.
- What you need to know about prostate cancer. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/publications/patient-education/wyntk-prostate-cancer. Accessed Feb. 8, 2017.
- Niederhuber JE, et al., eds. Prostate cancer. In: Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 21, 2017.
- Distress management. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Feb. 20, 2017.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. October 24, 2016.
- Smith RA, et al. Cancer screening in the United States, 2015: A review of current American Cancer Society guidelines and current issues in cancer screening. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. 2015;65:30.
- Prostate cancer prevention (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/prevention/prostate/healthprofessional. Accessed Feb. 20, 2017.
- Castle EP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz. April 12, 2017.
- Choline C-11 injection (prescribing information). Rochester, Minn. Mayo Clinic PET Radiochemistry Facility; 2012. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/appletter/2012/203155Orig1s000ltr.pdf. Accessed Feb. 22, 2017.
- Vourganti S. et al. MR/US fusion technology: What makes it tick? Current Urology Reports. 2017;18:20.
- Rong N, et al. Clinically available RNA profiling tests of prostate tumors: utility and comparison. Asian Journal of Andrology. 2016;18:575.
- Conrad CA, et al. Clinically available RNA profiling tests of prostate tumors: Utility and comparison. Asian Journal of Andrology. 2016;18:505.
- Koboldt DC, et al. Rare variation in TET2 is associated with clinically relevant prostate carcinoma in African Americans. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. 2016;25:11.
- Gettman MT, et al. Current status of robotics in urologic laparoscopy. European Urology. 2003;43:106.
- Krambeck AE, et al. Radical prostatectomy for prostatic adenocarcinoma: a matched comparison of open retropubic and robot-assisted techniques. BJU International. 2008;103;448.
- Ashfaq A, et al. Incidence and outcomes of ventral hernia repair after robotic retropubic prostatectomy: A retrospective cohort of 570 consecutive cases. International Journal of Surgery. 2017;38:74.
- Alshalalfa1 A, et al. Low PCA3 expression is a marker of poor differentiation in localized prostate tumors: Exploratory analysis from 12,076 patients. Oncotarget. In press. Accessed April 12, 2017.
- Kaushik D, et al. Oncological outcomes following radical prostatectomy for patients with pT4 prostate cancer. International Brazilian Journal of Urology. 2016;42:1091.
- Moris L, et al. Impact of lymph node burden on survival of high-risk prostate cancer patients following radical prostatectomy and pelvic lymph node dissection. Frontiers in Surgery. 2016;3:65.
- Leibovich BC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 2, 2017.