No complementary or alternative treatments will cure prostate cancer. However, complementary and alternative prostate cancer treatments may help you cope with the side effects of cancer and its treatment.
Nearly everyone diagnosed with cancer experiences some distress at some point. If you're distressed, you may feel sad, angry or anxious. You may experience difficulty sleeping or find yourself constantly thinking about your cancer.
Several complementary medicine techniques may help you cope with your distress, including:
- Art therapy
- Dance or movement therapy
- Music therapy
- Relaxation techniques
Discuss your feelings and concerns with your doctor. In some cases, treatment for distress may require medications.
Mar. 03, 2015
- Prostate cancer. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Jan. 21, 2015.
- Wein AJ, ed., et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://wwwclinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 21, 2015.
- Gunderson LL. Clinical Radiation Oncology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clincalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 21, 2015.
- What you need to know about prostate cancer. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/publications/patient-education/wyntk-prostate-cancer. Accessed Jan. 21, 2015.
- Niederhuber JE, et al., eds. Prostate cancer. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 21, 2015.
- Distress management. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Jan. 21, 2015.
- Skolarus TA, et al. American Cancer Society prostate cancer survivorship care guidelines. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. 2014;64:225.
- Smith RA, et al. Cancer screening in the United States, 2015: A review of current American Cancer Society guidelines and current issues in cancer screening. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. 2015;65:30.
- Prostate cancer prevention (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/prevention/prostate/healthprofessional. Accessed Jan. 21, 2015.
- Cuzick J, et al. Prevention and early detection of prostate cancer. Lancet Oncology 2014;15:e484.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 8, 2014.
- Castle EP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz. Feb. 13, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.