Scleroderma is a group of rare diseases that involves hardening and thickening of the skin. Internal organs can also be damaged.
Tests and diagnosis
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
Treatments and drugs
Coronary angioplasty and stents can reopen clogged heart arteries if buildup of plaques is causing chest pain, shortness of breath or a heart attack.
May. 03, 2014
- Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary. 32nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: W.B. Saunders; 2011. http://dorlands.com/index.jsp. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Learning about progeria. National Human Genome Research Institute. http://www.genome.gov/11007255. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Progeria (Hutchinson-Gilford syndrome). The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pediatrics/miscellaneous_disorders_in_infants_and_children/progeria.html. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Disorders of accelerated aging. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Patients and Caregivers. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/older_peoples_health_issues/the_aging_body/disorders_of_accelerated_aging.html. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- When your child is diagnosed with chronic illness: How to cope. American Psychological Association. https://www.apa.org/helpcenter/chronic-illness-child.aspx. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Coping with chronic illness. American Academy of Pediatrics. http://www.healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/conditions/chronic/pages/Coping-With-Chronic-Illness.aspx. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Progeria. National Institutes of Health. http://report.nih.gov/NIHfactsheets/ViewFactSheet.aspx?csid=59&key=P#P. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Gordon LB, et al. Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome. GeneReviews (Internet). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1121/. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Coppede F. Premature aging syndrome. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology. 2012;724:317.
- Kirmani S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 19, 2014.
- Johnson JN (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 23, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.