Doctors may suspect progeria based on signs and symptoms characteristic of the syndrome. To confirm the diagnosis, your doctor will order genetic testing. A genetic test for LMNA mutations can confirm the diagnosis of progeria.
May. 03, 2014
- Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary. 32nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: W.B. Saunders; 2011. http://dorlands.com/index.jsp. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Learning about progeria. National Human Genome Research Institute. http://www.genome.gov/11007255. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Progeria (Hutchinson-Gilford syndrome). The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pediatrics/miscellaneous_disorders_in_infants_and_children/progeria.html. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Disorders of accelerated aging. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Patients and Caregivers. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/older_peoples_health_issues/the_aging_body/disorders_of_accelerated_aging.html. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- When your child is diagnosed with chronic illness: How to cope. American Psychological Association. https://www.apa.org/helpcenter/chronic-illness-child.aspx. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Coping with chronic illness. American Academy of Pediatrics. http://www.healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/conditions/chronic/pages/Coping-With-Chronic-Illness.aspx. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Progeria. National Institutes of Health. http://report.nih.gov/NIHfactsheets/ViewFactSheet.aspx?csid=59&key=P#P. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Gordon LB, et al. Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome. GeneReviews (Internet). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1121/. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Coppede F. Premature aging syndrome. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology. 2012;724:317.
- Kirmani S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 19, 2014.
- Johnson JN (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 23, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.