Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Finding blood in your stool can be alarming. While the cause of rectal bleeding often isn't serious, see a doctor to have this symptom evaluated.
Tests and diagnosis
Has your doctor recommended a colonoscopy? Here's what you need to know about preparation and the exam itself.
Has your doctor recommended a flexible sigmoidoscopy exam? Here's what you need to know about preparation and the exam itself.
Find out what to expect during a needle biopsy.
Jun. 12, 2012
- Proctitis. National Institute for Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/proctitis/index.htm. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Hoentjen F, et al. Infectious proctitis: When to suspect it is not inflammatory bowel disease. Digestive Diseases and Sciences. 2012; 57:269.
- Nostrant TT, et al. Clinical features, diagnosis, and treatment of radiation proctitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Burger D, et al. Conventional medical management of inflammatory bowel disease. Gastroenterology. 2011;140:1827.
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. May 9, 2012.