Mayo Clinic researchers were among the first to describe primary sclerosing cholangitis. Other research done at Mayo has helped to refine diagnostic tests, improve treatment and assess the results of liver transplants for people with primary sclerosing cholangitis. Mayo Clinic researchers also developed mathematical models to help physicians predict long-term survival for people with primary sclerosing cholangitis.
Researchers at Mayo Clinic are currently studying the use of the fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) test in the diagnosis of bile duct cancer in people with primary sclerosing cholangitis. Another study is looking at genetic predisposition to primary sclerosing cholangitis.
Basic research related to primary sclerosing cholangitis and other liver diseases is conducted in the following Mayo Clinic laboratories:
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on primary sclerosing cholangitis on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Aug. 15, 2014
- Gregory J. Gores, M.D.
- Piet C. de Groen, M.D.
- Nicholas F. LaRusso, M.D.
- Konstantinos N. Lazaridis, M.D.
- David M. Nagorney, M.D.
- Lewis R. Roberts, M.B., Ch.B., Ph.D.
- Charles B. Rosen, M.D.
- Jayant A. Talwalkar, M.D.
- Russell H. Wiesner, M.D.
- Kowdley KV. Primary sclerosing cholangitis in adults: Clinical manifestations and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 24, 2014.
- Singh S, et al. Primary sclerosing cholangitis: Diagnosis, prognosis, and management. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2013;11:898.
- Eaton JE, et al. Pathogenesis of primary sclerosing cholangitis and advances in diagnosis and management. Gastroenterology. 2013;45:521.
- Imam MH, et al. Pathogenesis and management of pruritus in cholestatic liver disease. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2012;27:1150.
- Kowdley KV. Primary sclerosing cholangitis: Epidemiology and pathogenesis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 18, 2013.
- Hirschfield GM, et al. Primary sclerosing cholangitis. The Lancet. 2013;382:1587.
- Kowdley, KV. Primary sclerosing cholangitis in adults: Treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 18, 2013.
- Bunchorntavakul C, et al. Pruritis in chronic liver disease. Clinics in Liver Disease. 2012;16:331.
- Phan NQ, et al. Antipruritic treatment with systemic µ-opioid receptor antagonists: A review. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2010;63:680.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 22, 2014.
- Carbone M, et al. Autoimmune liver disease, autoimmunity and liver transplantation. Journal of Hepatology. 2014;60:210.
- Murad SD, et al. Efficacy of neoadjuvant chemoradiation, followed by liver transplantation, for perihilar cholangiocarcinoma at 12 US centers. Gastroenterology. 2012;143:88.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Perihilar and distal cholangiocarcinoma. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis. American College of Gastroenterology. http://patients.gi.org/topics/primary-sclerosing-cholangitis-psc/. Accessed Jan. 24, 2014.
- Liver health and wellness. American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/abouttheliver/liverhealth/. Accessed Jan. 24, 2014.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Nutrition for people with liver disease. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Research; 2013.
- Medication safety. Canadian Liver Foundation. http://www.liver.ca/liver-health/liver-disease-prevention/tips-for-healthy-liver/drug-safety.aspx. Accessed Jan. 23, 2014.
- Medications and the liver. American College of Gastroenterology. http://patients.gi.org/topics/medications-and-the-liver/. Accessed Jan. 24, 2014.
- Rosenthal TC, et al. Fatigue: An overview. American Family Physician. 2008;78:1173.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.