Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Here's information about common causes of diarrhea and when to see your doctor.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Infant jaundice, a yellowing of the skin and eyes, is common after birth. Careful monitoring and treatment is important for preventing rare, but serious, complications.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Nov. 22, 2014
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct.8, 2014.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. Oct. 25, 2014.
- Primary biliary cirrhosis. The National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/primarybiliarycirrhosis/index.aspx. Accessed Oct. 8, 2014.
- Juran BD, et al. Environmental factors in primary biliary cirrhosis. Seminars in Liver Disease. 2014;34:265.
- Lindor, KD, et al. Primary biliary cirrhosis. American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases Practice Guidelines. Hepatology. 2009;50:291.
- Poupon R. Clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and natural history of primary biliary cirrhosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 8, 2014.
- Boyer TD, et al., eds. Zakim & Boyer's Hepatology: A Textbook of Liver Disease. 6th ed. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 8, 2014.
- Poupon R. Overview of the treatment of primary biliary cirrhosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 8, 2014.
- Flamm S, et al. Liver transplantation in primary biliary cirrhosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 8, 2014.
- Honda A, et al. Anticholestatic effects of bezafibrate in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis treated with ursodeoxycholic acid. Hepatology. 2013;57:1931.
- AskMayoExpert. What is magnetic resonance elastography (MRE) and what are the indications for an MRE examination? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Singal AK, et al. Model for end-stage liver disease. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hepatology. 2013;3:50.
- PCBers. http://pbcers.org/. Accessed Oct. 8, 2014.
- Mells GF, et al. Impact of primary biliary cirrhosis on perceived quality of life: The UK-PBC national study. Hepatology. 2013;58:273.
- American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/support/. Accessed Oct. 21, 2014.
- Venkatesh SK, et al. Magnetic resonance elastography of liver: Clinical applications. Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography. 2013;37:887.
- Imam MH, et al. Pathogenesis and management of pruritus in cholestatic liver disease. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2012;27:1150.
- Bunchorntavakul C, et al. Pruritis in chronic liver disease. Clinics in Liver Disease. 2012;16:331.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 6, 2014.
- Martin P, et al. Evaluation for liver transplantation in adults: 2013 Practice guideline by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases and the American Society of Transplantation. Hepatology. 2014;59:1144.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.