- Experience. Mayo Clinic is one of the leading treatment centers for primary biliary cirrhosis in the United States. You benefit from the experience of specialists who treat more than 1,000 people each year for primary biliary cirrhosis.
- Latest tests. Mayo Clinic offers the latest diagnostic tests for primary biliary cirrhosis, including magnetic resonance elastography, a noninvasive imaging technique developed at Mayo Clinic.
- Research advances. You have access to the latest diagnosis and treatment advances at Mayo Clinic, which has been conducting research on primary biliary cirrhosis for more than 40 years. Mayo Clinic researchers have made significant contributions to understanding its cause, including helping to find several gene variations that seem to predispose people to primary biliary cirrhosis.
- Excellence in liver transplants. In 2013, Mayo Clinic specialists performed 330 liver transplants. Recipients of liver transplants at Mayo Clinic have above-average survival rates.
- Team approach. Liver specialists, radiologists, pathologists and surgeons work together as a team to provide comprehensive and coordinated care for people with primary biliary cirrhosis.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for digestive disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for digestive disorders by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Nov. 22, 2014
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct.8, 2014.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. Oct. 25, 2014.
- Primary biliary cirrhosis. The National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/primarybiliarycirrhosis/index.aspx. Accessed Oct. 8, 2014.
- Juran BD, et al. Environmental factors in primary biliary cirrhosis. Seminars in Liver Disease. 2014;34:265.
- Lindor, KD, et al. Primary biliary cirrhosis. American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases Practice Guidelines. Hepatology. 2009;50:291.
- Poupon R. Clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and natural history of primary biliary cirrhosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 8, 2014.
- Boyer TD, et al., eds. Zakim & Boyer's Hepatology: A Textbook of Liver Disease. 6th ed. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 8, 2014.
- Poupon R. Overview of the treatment of primary biliary cirrhosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 8, 2014.
- Flamm S, et al. Liver transplantation in primary biliary cirrhosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 8, 2014.
- Honda A, et al. Anticholestatic effects of bezafibrate in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis treated with ursodeoxycholic acid. Hepatology. 2013;57:1931.
- AskMayoExpert. What is magnetic resonance elastography (MRE) and what are the indications for an MRE examination? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Singal AK, et al. Model for end-stage liver disease. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hepatology. 2013;3:50.
- PCBers. http://pbcers.org/. Accessed Oct. 8, 2014.
- Mells GF, et al. Impact of primary biliary cirrhosis on perceived quality of life: The UK-PBC national study. Hepatology. 2013;58:273.
- American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/support/. Accessed Oct. 21, 2014.
- Venkatesh SK, et al. Magnetic resonance elastography of liver: Clinical applications. Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography. 2013;37:887.
- Imam MH, et al. Pathogenesis and management of pruritus in cholestatic liver disease. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2012;27:1150.
- Bunchorntavakul C, et al. Pruritis in chronic liver disease. Clinics in Liver Disease. 2012;16:331.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 6, 2014.
- Martin P, et al. Evaluation for liver transplantation in adults: 2013 Practice guideline by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases and the American Society of Transplantation. Hepatology. 2014;59:1144.