Lifestyle and home remedies
Avoid the potential pitfalls of restaurant dining by watching out for hidden fat, excess salt and heaping portions.
The DASH diet emphasizes whole grains, fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products. This table of recommended servings can help you plan meals.
Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to various life-threatening conditions. But it's easily detected — and you can work with your doctor to control it.
Tests and diagnosis
Jan. 02, 2014
- Funder JW, et al. Case detection, diagnosis and treatment of patients with primary aldosteronism: An Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2008;93:3266.
- Young WF, et al. Clinical features of primary aldosteronism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 25, 2013.
- Primary aldosteronism. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec12/ch153/ch153f.html. Accessed Aug. 26, 2013.
- Sechi LA, et al. Cardiovascular and renal damage in primary aldosteronism: Outcomes after treatment. American Journal of Hypertension. 2010;23:1253.
- Young WF, et al. Treatment of primary aldosteronism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 25, 2013.
- High blood pressure. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/Hbp/HBP_All.html. Accessed Aug. 26, 2013.
- Mount DB. Clinical manifestations and treatment of hypokalemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 26, 2013.
- Nwariaku F. Adrenalectomy: Minimally invasive surgery and traditional open procedures. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 26, 2013.
- Young WF, et al. Approach to the patient with hypertension and hypokalemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 26, 2013.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2013. 52nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Aug. 25, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.