Common conditions causing the overproduction of aldosterone include:
- A benign growth in an adrenal gland (aldosterone-producing adenoma) — a condition also known as Conn's syndrome
- Overactivity of both adrenal glands (idiopathic hyperaldosteronism)
In rare cases, primary aldosteronism may be caused by:
Jan. 02, 2014
- A malignant growth of the outer layer (cortex) of the adrenal gland (adrenal cortical cancer)
- A rare type of primary aldosteronism called glucocorticoid-remediable aldosteronism that runs in families and causes high blood pressure in children and young adults
- Funder JW, et al. Case detection, diagnosis and treatment of patients with primary aldosteronism: An Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2008;93:3266.
- Young WF, et al. Clinical features of primary aldosteronism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 25, 2013.
- Primary aldosteronism. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec12/ch153/ch153f.html. Accessed Aug. 26, 2013.
- Sechi LA, et al. Cardiovascular and renal damage in primary aldosteronism: Outcomes after treatment. American Journal of Hypertension. 2010;23:1253.
- Young WF, et al. Treatment of primary aldosteronism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 25, 2013.
- High blood pressure. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/Hbp/HBP_All.html. Accessed Aug. 26, 2013.
- Mount DB. Clinical manifestations and treatment of hypokalemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 26, 2013.
- Nwariaku F. Adrenalectomy: Minimally invasive surgery and traditional open procedures. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 26, 2013.
- Young WF, et al. Approach to the patient with hypertension and hypokalemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 26, 2013.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2013. 52nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Aug. 25, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.