Sleepless nights? Insomnia includes difficulty going to sleep, staying asleep or going back to sleep after you awaken. Insomnia may be temporary or chronic.
Low blood pressure (hypotension) can be a sign of good health or of a life-threatening condition. Find out more about hypotension's causes and treatment options.
Coping and support
Teen drug abuse can be prevented. Follow these tips to help protect your teen.
Take control of your mood and health. Explore the many depression treatment options and learn coping skills.
Can't sleep? Sleeping pills might be the answer. But first talk with your doctor about the potential risks and benefits.
Dec. 05, 2014
- Parran TV. Prescription drug abuse and addiction: Clinical features, epidemiology, and contributing factors. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 23, 2012.
- NIDA DrugFacts: Prescription and over-the-counter medications. National Institute on Drug Abuse. http://www.drugabuse.gov/infofacts/PainMed.html. Accessed Aug. 23, 2012.
- Epidemic: Responding to America's prescription drug abuse crisis. Office of National Drug Control Policy. http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/drugfact/prescrptn_drgs/rx_ff.html. Accessed Aug. 23, 2012.
- Commonly abused prescription drugs. Office of National Drug Control Policy. http://www.drugabuse.gov/DrugPages/PrescripDrugsChart.html. Accessed Aug. 23, 2012.
- Prescription drugs: Abuse and addiction. National Institute on Drug Abuse. http://www.drugabuse.gov/researchreports/prescription/prescription6.html. Accessed Aug. 23, 2012.
- Gunter WD, et al. Desisting from prescription drug abuse: An application of growth models to Rx opioid users. Journal of Drug Issues. 2012;42:82.
- Prescription drug abuse. The Nemours Foundation. http://kidshealth.org/teen/drug_alcohol/drugs/prescription_drug_abuse.html. Accessed Aug. 24, 2012.
- Colson J, et al. Office-based opioid dependence treatment. Pain Physician. 2012;15:ES231.
- Disposal of unused medicines: What you should know. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/BuyingUsingMedicineSafely/EnsuringSafeUseofMedicine/SafeDisposalofMedicines/ucm186187.htm#MEDICINES. Accessed Sept. 27, 2012.
- Koechl B, et al. Age-related aspects of addiction. Gerontology. In press. Accessed Aug. 24, 2012.
- Sehgal N, et al. Prescription opioid abuse in chronic pain: A review of opioid abuse predictors and strategies to curb opioid abuse. Pain Physician. 2012;15:ES67.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 5, 2012.
- Schneekloth TD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 19, 2012.
- Intervention — Tips and guidelines. National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence. http://www.ncadd.org/index.php/for-friends-and-family/intervention. Accessed Sept. 28, 2012.