Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Tests and diagnosis
Eye exam — Overview covers definition, what to expect and results of vision testing.
Treatments and drugs
Thinking about trying contact lenses? Here's an overview of the basic choices — plus tips to keep you seeing clearly.
LASIK eye surgery — Overview covers definition, risks, what to expect from vision correction surgery.
Sep. 30, 2011
- Mian SI. Visual impairment in adults: Refractive disorders and presbyopia. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 7, 2011.
- Optometric clinical practice guideline: Care of the patient with presbyopia. American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/documents/CPG-17.pdf. Accessed Aug. 7, 2011.
- Policy statement: Frequency of eye exams. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/CE/PracticeGuidelines/ClinicalStatements_Content.aspx?cid=810eaf61-181e-41c8-a0e8-e1d122efe5a4. Accessed Aug. 7, 2011.
- Preferred practice pattern: Refractive errors & refractive surgery. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://one.aao.org/CE/PracticeGuidelines/PPP_Content.aspx?cid=e6930284-2c41-48d5-afd2-631dec586286. Accessed Aug. 7, 2011.
- Garcia-Gonzalez M, et al. Visual outcomes of LASIK-induced monovision in myopic patients with presbyopia. American Journal of Ophthalmology. 2010;150:381.
- What is LASIK? U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/SurgeryandLifeSupport/LASIK/ucm061358.htm. Accessed Aug. 8, 2011.
- Alternative refractive surgery procedures. EyeSmart. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/glasses-contacts-lasik/refractive-surgery-alternative-procedures.cfm. Accessed Aug. 8, 2011.
- Kubal AA. Multifocal versus accommodating intraocular lenses: A review of the current technology, outcomes, and complications. International Ophthalmology Clinics. 2011;51:131.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 24, 2011.