Sleepless nights? Insomnia includes difficulty going to sleep, staying asleep or going back to sleep after you awaken. Insomnia may be temporary or chronic.
Lifestyle and home remedies
Stressed out? Try meditation. Learn easy, quick techniques that you can use at work, waiting in line or virtually anywhere.
Acne can affect people of all ages. Find out what causes acne and ways to keep breakouts under control.
Take control of your mood and health. Explore the many depression treatment options and learn coping skills.
Chronic constipation can cause bloating and abdominal discomfort.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Treatments and drugs
Combination birth control pills — Overview covers definition, risks, instructions for using this type of contraception.
Jan. 18, 2012
- Yonkers KA, et al. Premenstrual syndrome. The Lancet. 2008;371:1200.
- Colin CM, et al. Complications of menstruation; abnormal uterine bleeding. In: DeCherney AH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment Obstetrics & Gynecology. 10th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aid=2388399. Accessed Nov. 22, 2011.
- Casper RF, et al. Treatment of premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoric disorder. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 23, 2011.
- Frequently asked questions. Gynecologic problems FAQ057. Premenstrual syndrome. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/faq/faq057.cfm. Accessed Nov. 23, 2011.
- Dog TL. Premenstrual syndrome. In: Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-2/0/1494/0.html. Accessed Nov. 23, 2011.
- Borenstein JE, et al. Using the daily record of severity of problems as a screening instrument for premenstrual syndrome. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2007;109:1068.
- Johnson SR. Premenstrual syndrome, premenstrual dysphoric disorder, and beyond: A clinical primer for practitioners. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2004;104:845.
- Jing Z, et al. Chinese herbal medicine for premenstrual syndrome (review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2009:CD006414. http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews. Accessed Dec. 6, 2011.
- Panay N. Management of premenstrual syndrome: Evidence-based guidelines. Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductive Medicine. 2011;21:221.
- Shulman LP. Gynecological management of premenstrual symptoms. Current Pain and Headache Reports. 2010;14:367.