A heart arrhythmia is an abnormal heart rhythm. Arrhythmias can be a byproduct of damage to the heart from disease or age.
Lifestyle and home remedies
How much caffeine is in that latte or soda you're sipping?
Looking for more stress relievers? Find out why exercise is a good option to try.
Chewing tobacco, snuff and other forms of smokeless tobacco are linked to many health problems, including cancer. Understand the risks and learn how to quit.
Tests and diagnosis
An electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a test that provides valuable clues about your heart health. Here's what you need to know about the test.
A stress test is used to diagnose coronary artery disease and heart arrhythmias, as well as guide treatment of heart disorders.
Apr. 26, 2014
- Manolis AS. Ventricular premature beats. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 16, 2014.
- Ventricular premature beats. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/cardiovascular_disorders/arrhythmias_and_conduction_disorders/ventricular_premature_beats_vpb.html. Accessed Jan. 16, 2014.
- Arrhythmia. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/arr/. Accessed Jan. 16, 2014.
- Cha YM, et al. Premature ventricular contraction-induced cardiomyopathy. Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology. 2012;5:229.
- Zipes DP, et al. Cardiac Electrophysiology: From Cell to Bedside. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 16, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.