Premature ejaculation occurs when a man ejaculates sooner during sexual intercourse than he or his partner would like. Premature ejaculation is a common sexual complaint. Estimates vary, but as many as 1 out of 3 men say they experience this problem at some time.
As long as it happens infrequently, it's not cause for concern. However, you might be diagnosed with premature ejaculation if you:
- Always or nearly always ejaculate within one minute of penetration
- Are unable to delay ejaculation during intercourse all or nearly all of the time
- Feel distressed and frustrated, and tend to avoid sexual intimacy as a result
Both psychological and biological factors can play a role in premature ejaculation. Although many men feel embarrassed talking about it, premature ejaculation is a common and treatable condition. Medications, counseling and sexual techniques that delay ejaculation — or a combination of these — can help improve sex for you and your partner.
July 21, 2017
- Ferri FF. Ejaculation and orgasm disorders. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 21, 2016.
- Saitz TR, et al. Advances in understanding and treating premature ejaculation. Nature Reviews Urology. 2015;12:629.
- Gur S, et al. Current therapies for premature ejaculation. Drug Discovery Today. 2016;21:1147.
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Disorders of male orgasm and ejaculation. In: Campbell-Walsh Urology. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.:Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 21, 2016.
- Althof SE, et al. An update of the International Society of Sexual Medicine's guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of premature ejaculation (PE). The Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2014;11:1392.
- Cooper K, et al. Behavioral therapies for management of premature ejaculation: A systematic review. Sexual Medicine. 2015;3:174.
- Serefpglu EC, et al. Premature ejaculation: Do we have effective therapy? Translational Andrology and Urology. 2013;2:45.
- Siegel AL. Pelvic floor muscle training in males: Practical applications. Urology. 2014;84:1.
- Kegel exercise tips. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/urologic-disease/urinary-incontinence-women/Pages/insertC.aspx. Accessed Sept. 25, 2016.
- Hill BJ, et al. The effect of condoms on penile vibrotactile sensitivity thresholds in young, heterosexual men. The Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2014;11:102.
- Althof SE, et al. Contemporary management of disorders of male orgasm and ejaculation. Urology. 2016;93:9.
- Castiglione F, et al. Current pharmacological management of premature ejaculation: A systematic review and meta-analysis. European Urology. 2016;69:904.