In addition to asking about your sex life, your doctor will ask about your health history and might do a physical exam. If you have both premature ejaculation and trouble getting or maintaining an erection, your doctor might order blood tests to check your male hormone (testosterone) levels or other tests.
In some cases, your doctor might suggest that you go to a urologist or a mental health professional who specializes in sexual dysfunction.
Nov. 05, 2016
- Ferri FF. Ejaculation and orgasm disorders. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 21, 2016.
- Saitz TR, et al. Advances in understanding and treating premature ejaculation. Nature Reviews Urology. 2015;12:629.
- Gur S, et al. Current therapies for premature ejaculation. Drug Discovery Today. 2016;21:1147.
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Disorders of male orgasm and ejaculation. In: Campbell-Walsh Urology. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.:Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 21, 2016.
- Althof SE, et al. An update of the International Society of Sexual Medicine's guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of premature ejaculation (PE). The Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2014;11:1392.
- Cooper K, et al. Behavioral therapies for management of premature ejaculation: A systematic review. Sexual Medicine. 2015;3:174.
- Serefpglu EC, et al. Premature ejaculation: Do we have effective therapy? Translational Andrology and Urology. 2013;2:45.
- Siegel AL. Pelvic floor muscle training in males: Practical applications. Urology. 2014;84:1.
- Kegel exercise tips. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/urologic-disease/urinary-incontinence-women/Pages/insertC.aspx. Accessed Sept. 25, 2016.
- Hill BJ, et al. The effect of condoms on penile vibrotactile sensitivity thresholds in young, heterosexual men. The Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2014;11:102.
- Althof SE, et al. Contemporary management of disorders of male orgasm and ejaculation. Urology. 2016;93:9.
- Castiglione F, et al. Current pharmacological management of premature ejaculation: A systematic review and meta-analysis. European Urology. 2016;69:904.