Various factors can increase your risk of premature ejaculation, including:
Feb. 24, 2011
- Erectile dysfunction. You may be at increased risk of premature ejaculation if you occasionally or consistently have trouble getting or maintaining an erection. Fear of losing your erection may cause you to consciously or unconsciously hurry through sexual encounters.
- Health problems. A medical concern that causes you to feel anxious during sex, such as a heart problem, may cause you to unknowingly rush to ejaculate.
- Stress. Emotional or mental strain in any area of your life can play a role in premature ejaculation, often limiting your ability to relax and focus during sexual encounters.
- Certain medications. Rarely, drugs that influence the action of chemical messengers in the brain (psychotropics) may contribute to premature ejaculation.
- Mehta A, et al. Ejaculation disorders. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/120705265-3/804926975/1701/189.html#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-04134-8..50008-2--subchapter5_3989. Accessed Nov. 13, 2010.
- Diaz VA, et al. Male sexual dysfunction. Primary Care Clinics in Office Practice. 2010;37:473.
- Lue TF, et al. Evaluation and nonsurgical management of erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. In: Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7216-0798-6..50024-8--cesec104&isbn=978-0-7216-0798-6&sid=1082841620&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7216-0798-6..50024-8--cesec104&uniqId=226471491-7#4-u1.0-B978-0-7216-0798-6..50024-8--cesec104. Accessed Nov. 13, 2010.
- Althof SE, et al. International Society for Sexual Medicine's Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Premature Ejaculation. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2010;7:2947.
- Brotto LA, et al. Yoga and sexual functioning: A review. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy. 2009;35:378.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 16, 2010.