In some cases, premature ejaculation may be caused by poor communication between partners or a lack of understanding of the differences between male and female sexual functioning. Women typically require more-prolonged stimulation than men do to reach orgasm, and this difference can cause sexual resentment between partners and add pressure to sexual encounters. For many men, feeling pressure during sexual intercourse increases the risk of premature ejaculation.
Open communication between sexual partners, as well as a willingness to try a variety of approaches to help both partners feel satisfied, can help reduce conflict and performance anxiety. If you're not satisfied with your sexual relationship, talk with your partner about your concerns. Try to approach the topic in a loving way and to avoid blaming your partner for your dissatisfaction.
If you're not able to resolve sexual problems on your own, talk with your doctor. He or she may recommend seeing a therapist.
Feb. 24, 2011
- Mehta A, et al. Ejaculation disorders. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/120705265-3/804926975/1701/189.html#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-04134-8..50008-2--subchapter5_3989. Accessed Nov. 13, 2010.
- Diaz VA, et al. Male sexual dysfunction. Primary Care Clinics in Office Practice. 2010;37:473.
- Lue TF, et al. Evaluation and nonsurgical management of erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. In: Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7216-0798-6..50024-8--cesec104&isbn=978-0-7216-0798-6&sid=1082841620&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7216-0798-6..50024-8--cesec104&uniqId=226471491-7#4-u1.0-B978-0-7216-0798-6..50024-8--cesec104. Accessed Nov. 13, 2010.
- Althof SE, et al. International Society for Sexual Medicine's Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Premature Ejaculation. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2010;7:2947.
- Brotto LA, et al. Yoga and sexual functioning: A review. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy. 2009;35:378.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 16, 2010.