Many men who experience premature ejaculation feel frustrated and even ashamed. It may help you to know that this problem is common and often very treatable. Talk to your doctor if it's causing relationship problems for you or your partner.
While you explore treatment options, consider lifting the pressure off the sexual side of your relationship. Some doctors recommend avoiding intercourse entirely for a short time and sharing other forms of physical pleasure and affection instead. Connecting in this way can help you re-establish a satisfying physical bond with your partner.
Taking the emphasis off intercourse can remove the worry about ejaculating too soon — and it can help lay the foundation for a more fulfilling sexual relationship.
Feb. 24, 2011
- Mehta A, et al. Ejaculation disorders. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/120705265-3/804926975/1701/189.html#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-04134-8..50008-2--subchapter5_3989. Accessed Nov. 13, 2010.
- Diaz VA, et al. Male sexual dysfunction. Primary Care Clinics in Office Practice. 2010;37:473.
- Lue TF, et al. Evaluation and nonsurgical management of erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. In: Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7216-0798-6..50024-8--cesec104&isbn=978-0-7216-0798-6&sid=1082841620&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7216-0798-6..50024-8--cesec104&uniqId=226471491-7#4-u1.0-B978-0-7216-0798-6..50024-8--cesec104. Accessed Nov. 13, 2010.
- Althof SE, et al. International Society for Sexual Medicine's Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Premature Ejaculation. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2010;7:2947.
- Brotto LA, et al. Yoga and sexual functioning: A review. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy. 2009;35:378.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 16, 2010.