A premature birth is a birth that takes place more than three weeks before the baby is due. In other words, a premature birth is one that occurs before the start of the 37th week of pregnancy. Normally, a pregnancy usually lasts about 40 weeks.
Premature birth gives the baby less time to develop in the womb. Premature babies, especially those born earliest, often have complicated medical problems.
Depending on how early a baby is born, he or she may be:
- Late preterm, born between 34 and 36 weeks of pregnancy
- Moderately preterm, born between 32 and 34 weeks of pregnancy
- Very preterm, born at less than 32 weeks of pregnancy
- Extremely preterm, born at or before 25 weeks of pregnancy
Most premature births occur in the late preterm stage.
Nov. 27, 2014
- Cunningham FG, et al. Williams Obstetrics. 24th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=46. Accessed Oct. 3, 2014.
- Creasy RK, et al., eds. Creasy and Resnik's Maternal-Fetal Medicine: Principles and Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.; Saunders Elsevier: 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 30, 2014.
- Cook WJ, et al. Mayo Clinic Guide to Your Baby's First Year. Intercourse, Penn.: Good Books; 2012:503.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 13, 2014.
- Hay WW, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Pediatrics. 21st ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookid=497. Accessed Oct. 17, 2014.
- Fenton TR, et al. A systematic review and meta-analysis to revise the Fenton growth chart for preterm infants. BMC Pediatrics. 2013;13:59.
- Norwitz ER. Prevention of spontaneous preterm birth. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 30, 2014.
- Robinson JN, et al. Risk factors for preterm labor and delivery. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 30, 2014.
- Mandy GT. Short-term complications of the premature infant. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 18, 2014.
- Cerebral palsy. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.org/baby/cerebral-palsy.aspx. Accessed Oct. 18, 2014
- Stewart J. Care of the neonatal intensive care unit graduate. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 18, 2014.
- Common NICU tests. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.org/baby/common-nicu-tests.aspx. Accessed Oct. 18, 2014.
- Mandy GT. Long-term complications of the premature infant. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 18, 2014.
- Harris MN, et al. ADHD and learning disabilities in former late preterm infants: A population-based birth cohort. Pediatrics. 2013;132:e630.
- Pertussis: Summary of vaccine recommendations. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/pertussis/recs-summary.htm. Accessed Oct. 18, 2014.
- Grieger JA, et al. Preconception dietary patterns in human pregnancies are associated with preterm delivery. Journal of Nutrition. 2014;144:1075.
- Hypertension in pregnancy. Washington, D.C.: American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org. Accessed Oct. 10, 2014.
- Hofmeyr GJ, et al. Calcium supplementation during pregnancy for preventing hypertensive disorders and related problems (Review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD001059.pub4/abstract. Accessed Oct. 10, 2014.
- Stampalija AZ, et al. Cervical stitch (cerclage) for preventing preterm birth in singleton pregnancy (Review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD008991.pub2/abstract. Accessed Oct. 10, 2014.
- Goya M, et al. Cervical pessary in pregnant women with a short cervix (PECEP): An open-label randomised controlled trial. The Lancet. 2012;379:1800.
- Abdel-Aleem H, el al. Cervical pessary for preventing preterm birth (Review) Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007873.pub3/abstract. Accessed Oct. 10, 2014.
- Ferguson KK, at al. Environmental phthalate exposure and preterm birth. JAMA Pediatrics. http://archpedi.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1769137. Accessed Oct. 10, 2014.
- Harms RW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 23, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.