Lifestyle and home remedies
The DASH diet can control blood pressure and offer other health benefits. Here's how to make it a part of your healthy lifestyle.
Avoid the potential pitfalls of restaurant dining by watching out for hidden fat, excess salt and heaping portions.
The DASH diet doesn't have to be difficult. These tips can help you shop and cook according to DASH diet principles.
The DASH diet emphasizes whole grains, fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products. This table of recommended servings can help you plan meals.
Tests and diagnosis
June 23, 2015
- What is high blood pressure? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hbp. Accessed May 6, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. How is hypertension classified? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- James PA, et al. 2014 evidence-based guideline for the management of high blood pressure in adults: Report from the panel members appointed to the Eighth Joint National Committee (JNC 8). JAMA. 2014;311:507.
- Kaplan NM. Prehypertension. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 6, 2015.
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for high blood pressure: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force reaffirmation recommendation statement. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2007;147:783.
- Kaplan NM, et al. Overview of hypertension in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 8, 2015.
- Understand your risk for high blood pressure. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/UnderstandYourRiskforHighBloodPressure/Understand-Your-Risk-for-High-Blood-Pressure_UCM_002052_Article.jsp. Accessed May 8, 2015.
- Kaplan NM, et al. Diet in the treatment and prevention of hypertension. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 8, 2015.
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/DGAs2010-PolicyDocument.htm. Accessed May 8, 2015.
- 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.health.gov/PAGUIDELINES/guidelines/default.aspx. Accessed May 8, 2015.
- Bushman B. Promoting exercise as medicine for prediabetes and prehypertension. Current Sports Medicine Reports. 2014;13:233.
- Collier SR, et al. Treatment of prehypertension: Lifestyle and/or medication. Vascular Health and Risk Management. 2012;8:613.
- Sheps SG. 5 Steps to Controlling High Blood Pressure. 2nd ed. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Clinic; 2015.
- Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring and white coat hypertension in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 19, 2015.
- Sheps SG (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 19, 2015.