Molar pregnancy — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, treatment of this tumor in the uterus.
If you have a high-risk pregnancy, you might have questions. Will you need special prenatal care? Will your baby be OK? Get the facts about high-risk pregnancies.
Considering a planned home birth? Get answers to common questions about home birth, from who's eligible to what happens when complications arise.
Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to various life-threatening conditions. But it's easily detected — and you can work with your doctor to control it.
Wonder how to safely treat asthma during pregnancy? Here's what you need to know to promote a healthy pregnancy.
Being obese during pregnancy can pose health risks for you and your baby. Get the facts about obesity and pregnancy.
How close is too close when it comes to timing pregnancies? Consider the impact pregnancy spacing can have on your health and your baby's health.
When it comes to gaining weight during pregnancy, there's no one-size-fits-all approach. Here's help gaining the right amount of weight.
Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Edema — swelling caused by excess fluid in tissues — can affect any part of your body. Treating the underlying cause is key to resolving edema.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
High blood pressure during pregnancy can pose health risks for you and your baby. Understand how to manage this condition and prevent complications.
Sick to your stomach? Nausea and vomiting usually pass quickly but sometimes result from long-term or serious conditions.
Tests and diagnosis
Biophysical profile — Overview covers definition, risks, results of this prenatal test.
During pregnancy, fetal ultrasound allows your health care provider to check on your baby's growth and development. Find out more about the exam.
Find out how noninvasive prenatal testing might benefit you and your baby.
Nonstress test — Overview covers definition and results of this prenatal test.
Treatments and drugs
C-section — Overview covers why it's done, risks, what you can expect and tips for recovery.
On pregnancy bed rest? Understand the restrictions and side effects — plus how to deal with this often challenging prescription.
Apr. 21, 2011
- http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/issues/preg/preg.htm. Accessed March 9, 2011.
- Conde-Agudelo A, et al. Maternal infection and risk of preeclampsia: Systematic review and metaanalysis. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2008;198:7.
- Bodnar LM, et al. Maternal vitamin D deficiency increases the risk of preeclampsia. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2007;92:3517.
- High blood pressure and preeclampsia. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.com/complications_preeclampsia.html. Accessed March 9, 2011.
- Norwitz ER, et al. Management of preeclampsia. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed March 7, 2011.
- Leanos-Miranda A, et al. Urinary prolactin as a reliable marker for preeclampsia, its severity, and the occurrence of adverse pregnancy outcomes. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2008;93:2492.
- August P, et al. Clinical features, diagnosis, and long-term prognosis of preeclampsia. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed March 7, 2011.
- Sibai BM, et al. Hypertension. In: Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1528/0.html. Accessed March 9, 2011.
- Barton JR, et al. Prediction and prevention of recurrent preeclampsia. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2008;112:359.
- Bellamy L, et al. Pre-eclampsia and risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer in later life: Systematic review and meta-analysis. British Medical Journal. 2007;335:974.
- Facchinetti F, et al. Migraine is a risk factor for hypertensive disorders in pregnancy: A prospective cohort study. Cephalalgia: An International Journal of Headache. 2009;29:286.
- Steegers EA, et al. Pre-eclampsia. The Lancet. 2010;376:631.