Healthy lifestyle choices can help you prevent prediabetes and its progression to type 2 diabetes — even if diabetes runs in your family.
- Eat healthy foods.
- Get more physical activity.
- Lose excess pounds.
The same lifestyle changes that can treat or even reverse prediabetes help prevent the condition, too.
Dec. 17, 2014
- American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical care in diabetes — 2014. Diabetes Care. 2014;37(suppl):S14.
- Insulin resistance and pre-diabetes. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/insulinresistance/. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Diabetes symptoms. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/symptoms/?loc=db-slabnav. Accessed Nov. 26, 2014.
- DeFronzo RA, et al. Preservation of beta-cell function: The key to diabetes prevention. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2011; 96:2354.
- Senechal M, et al. Independent and combined effect of diet and exercise in adults with prediabetes. Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity: Targets and Therapy. 2014;7:521.
- McCulloch DK, et al. Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 19, 2014.
- Natural medicines in the clinical management of diabetes. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Nov. 26, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.