Scoliosis is an abnormal curvature of the spine. Most cases are mild, but severe cases may require treatment with braces or surgery.
Tests and diagnosis
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
April 17, 2014
- Cassidy SB, et al. Prader-Willi syndrome. Genetics in Medicine. 2012;14:10.
- Scheimann AO. Clinical features, diagnosis, and treatment of Prader-Willi syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 16, 2013.
- Prader-Willi syndrome. Genetics Home Reference. National Library of Medicine. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/prader-willi-syndrome. Accessed Dec. 16, 2013.
- Emerick JE, et al. Endocrine manifestations and management of Prader-Willi syndrome. International Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology. 2013;1:14.
- Scheemeyer E. Prader-Willi syndrome: Care of adults in general practice. Australian Family Physician. 2013;42:51.
- Grechi E, et al. Prader-Willi syndrome: Clinical aspects. Journal of Obesity. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3486015/. Accessed Dec. 16, 2013.
- Mazaheri MM, et al. The impact of Prader-Willi syndrome on the family's quality of life and caregiving, and the unaffected siblings' psychosocial adjustment. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research. 2013;57:861.
- Overview of early intervention. National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities. http://nichcy.org/babies/overview. Accessed Dec. 21, 2013.
- Pittock ST (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 9, 2014.
- Lteif AN (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 9, 2014.
- Intellectual disabilities. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed Jan. 10, 2014.