Prader-Willi (PRAH-dur VIL-e) syndrome is a rare genetic disorder that results in a number of physical, mental and behavioral problems. A key feature of Prader-Willi syndrome is a constant sense of hunger that usually begins at about 2 years of age.
People with Prader-Willi syndrome want to eat constantly because they never feel full (hyperphagia), and they usually have trouble controlling their weight. Many complications of Prader-Willi syndrome are due to obesity.
Best managed by a team approach, various specialists can work with you to manage symptoms of this complex disorder, reduce the risk of developing complications and improve the quality of life for your loved one with Prader-Willi syndrome.
April 21, 2017
- Driscoll DJ, et al. Prader-Willi syndrome. GeneReviews. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1330/. Accessed Jan. 9, 2017.
- Prader Willi syndrome. National Organization for Rare Disorders. https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/prader-willi-syndrome/. Accessed Jan. 9, 2017.
- National Library of Medicine. Prader-Willi syndrome. Genetics Home Reference. https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/prader-willi-syndrome. Accessed Jan. 9, 2017.
- Irizarry KA, et al. Prader Willi syndrome: Genetics, metabolomics, hormonal function, and new approaches to therapy. Advances in Pediatrics. 2016;63:47.
- Scheimann AO. Clinical features, diagnosis, and treatment of Prader-Willi syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 9, 2017.
- Scheimann AO. Epidemiology and genetics of Prader-Willi syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 9, 2017.
- Angulo MA, et al. Prader-Willi syndrome: A review of clinical, genetic, and endocrine findings. Journal of Endocrinological Investigation. 2015;38:1249.
- Tvrdik T, et al. Stress and coping in parents of children with Prader-Willi syndrome: Assessment of the impact of a structured plan of care. American Journal of Medical Genetics. 2015;167:974.
- Mazaheri MM, et al. The impact of Prader-Willi syndrome on the family's quality of life and caregiving, and the unaffected siblings' psychosocial adjustment. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research. 2013;57:861.
- Hurren BJ, et al. Prader-Willi syndrome: A spectrum of anatomical and clinical features. Clinical Anatomy. 2016;29:590.
- Lteif AN (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 9, 2017.