Defective or missing portions of paternal genes responsible for Prader-Willi syndrome usually occur randomly. This means that in most instances, Prader-Willi syndrome can't be prevented. However, in a small number of cases, a genetic mutation inherited from the father may cause Prader-Willi syndrome.
If you have a child with Prader-Willi syndrome and would like to have another baby, consider seeking genetic counseling. A genetic counselor may help determine your risk of having another child with Prader-Willi syndrome.
April 17, 2014
- Cassidy SB, et al. Prader-Willi syndrome. Genetics in Medicine. 2012;14:10.
- Scheimann AO. Clinical features, diagnosis, and treatment of Prader-Willi syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 16, 2013.
- Prader-Willi syndrome. Genetics Home Reference. National Library of Medicine. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/prader-willi-syndrome. Accessed Dec. 16, 2013.
- Emerick JE, et al. Endocrine manifestations and management of Prader-Willi syndrome. International Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology. 2013;1:14.
- Scheemeyer E. Prader-Willi syndrome: Care of adults in general practice. Australian Family Physician. 2013;42:51.
- Grechi E, et al. Prader-Willi syndrome: Clinical aspects. Journal of Obesity. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3486015/. Accessed Dec. 16, 2013.
- Mazaheri MM, et al. The impact of Prader-Willi syndrome on the family's quality of life and caregiving, and the unaffected siblings' psychosocial adjustment. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research. 2013;57:861.
- Overview of early intervention. National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities. http://nichcy.org/babies/overview. Accessed Dec. 21, 2013.
- Pittock ST (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 9, 2014.
- Lteif AN (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 9, 2014.
- Intellectual disabilities. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed Jan. 10, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.