Prader-Willi (PRAH-dur VIL-e) syndrome is a rare disorder present at birth that results in a number of physical, mental and behavioral problems. A key feature of Prader-Willi syndrome is a constant sense of hunger that usually begins at about 2 years of age.
People with Prader-Willi syndrome want to eat constantly because they never feel full (hyperphagia) and usually have trouble controlling their weight. Many complications of Prader-Willi syndrome are due to obesity.
If you or your child has Prader-Willi syndrome, a team of specialists can work with you to manage symptoms, reduce the risk of developing complications and improve quality of life.
April 17, 2014
- Cassidy SB, et al. Prader-Willi syndrome. Genetics in Medicine. 2012;14:10.
- Scheimann AO. Clinical features, diagnosis, and treatment of Prader-Willi syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 16, 2013.
- Prader-Willi syndrome. Genetics Home Reference. National Library of Medicine. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/prader-willi-syndrome. Accessed Dec. 16, 2013.
- Emerick JE, et al. Endocrine manifestations and management of Prader-Willi syndrome. International Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology. 2013;1:14.
- Scheemeyer E. Prader-Willi syndrome: Care of adults in general practice. Australian Family Physician. 2013;42:51.
- Grechi E, et al. Prader-Willi syndrome: Clinical aspects. Journal of Obesity. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3486015/. Accessed Dec. 16, 2013.
- Mazaheri MM, et al. The impact of Prader-Willi syndrome on the family's quality of life and caregiving, and the unaffected siblings' psychosocial adjustment. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research. 2013;57:861.
- Overview of early intervention. National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities. http://nichcy.org/babies/overview. Accessed Dec. 21, 2013.
- Pittock ST (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 9, 2014.
- Lteif AN (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 9, 2014.
- Intellectual disabilities. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed Jan. 10, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.