Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to various life-threatening conditions. But it's easily detected — and you can work with your doctor to control it.
Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Tests and diagnosis
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Mar. 21, 2015
- Adams JG. Emergency Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 15, 2015.
- August P, et al. Clinical features and diagnosis of preeclampsia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 15, 2015.
- Clark TP. Late-onset postpartum preeclampsia: A case study. The Nurse Practitioner. 2014;39:34.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 15, 2015.
- Magee LA, et al. Diagnosis, evaluation, and management of the Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy: Executive Summary. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada. 2014;36:416.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 15, 2015.
- Roberts JM, et al. Hypertension in pregnancy: Report of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists' Task Force on Hypertension in Pregnancy. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2013;122:1122.
- Wick MJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 27, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.