Postpartum preeclampsia can be difficult to detect on your own. Many women who experience postpartum preeclampsia show no signs or symptoms during pregnancy. Also, you might not suspect that anything is wrong when you're focused on recovering after childbirth and caring for a newborn.
Signs and symptoms of postpartum preeclampsia — which are typically similar to those of preeclampsia that occurs during pregnancy — might include:
- High blood pressure (hypertension) — 140/90 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) or greater
- Excess protein in your urine (proteinuria)
- Severe headaches
- Changes in vision, including temporary loss of vision, blurred vision or light sensitivity
- Swelling of the face and limbs
- Upper abdominal pain, usually under the ribs on the right side
- Nausea or vomiting
- Decreased urination
- Sudden weight gain, typically more than 2 pounds (0.9 kilogram) a week
If you have signs or symptoms of postpartum preeclampsia shortly after childbirth, contact your health care provider right away. Depending on the circumstances, you might need immediate medical care.
Mar. 21, 2015
- Adams JG. Emergency Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 15, 2015.
- August P, et al. Clinical features and diagnosis of preeclampsia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 15, 2015.
- Clark TP. Late-onset postpartum preeclampsia: A case study. The Nurse Practitioner. 2014;39:34.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 15, 2015.
- Magee LA, et al. Diagnosis, evaluation, and management of the Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy: Executive Summary. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada. 2014;36:416.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 15, 2015.
- Roberts JM, et al. Hypertension in pregnancy: Report of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists' Task Force on Hypertension in Pregnancy. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2013;122:1122.
- Wick MJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 27, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.