Sleepless nights? Insomnia includes difficulty going to sleep, staying asleep or going back to sleep after you awaken. Insomnia may be temporary or chronic.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Treatments and drugs
When other treatments haven't worked, ECT may be an option. Set aside preconceived notions and learn about benefits and risks.
Aug. 11, 2015
- Depressive disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed July 16, 2015.
- Depression during and after pregnancy. WomensHealth.gov. https://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/depression-pregnancy.html. Accessed July 1, 2015.
- Postpartum depression. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/pi/women/resources/reports/postpartum-dep.aspx. Accessed July 16, 2015.
- Frequently asked questions. Labor, delivery, and postpartum care FAQ091. Postpartum depression. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/-/media/For-Patients/faq091.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20150716T1631486138. Accessed July 16, 2015.
- Postpartum depression facts. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/postpartum-depression-facts/index.shtml. Accessed July 16, 2015.
- Roy-Byrne PP. Postpartum blues and unipolar depression: Epidemiology, clinical features, assessment, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 21, 2015.
- Roy-Byrne PP. Postpartum blues and unipolar depression: Prevention and treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 21, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Depression during pregnancy and postpartum. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Marder S. Postpartum psychosis: Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, assessment, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 22, 2015.
- Marder S. Treatment of postpartum psychosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 22, 2015.
- Butler Tobah YS (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 27, 2015.
- American Academy of Pediatrics. Intrapartum and postpartum care of the mother. In: Guidelines for Perinatal Care. 7th ed. Elk Grove Village, Ill.: American Academy of Pediatrics; Washington, D.C.: American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists; 2012.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 29, 2015.