Your doctor will usually talk with you about your feelings, thoughts and mental health to distinguish between a short-term case of postpartum baby blues and a more severe form of depression. Don't be embarrassed. Share your symptoms with your doctor so that a useful treatment plan can be created for you.
As part of your evaluation, your doctor may:
- Ask you to complete a depression-screening questionnaire
- Order blood tests to determine whether an underactive thyroid is contributing to your signs and symptoms
- Order other tests, if warranted, to rule out other causes for your symptoms
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, published by the American Psychiatric Association, is often used by mental health providers to diagnose mental conditions and by insurance companies to reimburse for treatment.
Aug. 11, 2015
- Depressive disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed July 16, 2015.
- Depression during and after pregnancy. WomensHealth.gov. https://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/depression-pregnancy.html. Accessed July 1, 2015.
- Postpartum depression. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/pi/women/resources/reports/postpartum-dep.aspx. Accessed July 16, 2015.
- Frequently asked questions. Labor, delivery, and postpartum care FAQ091. Postpartum depression. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/-/media/For-Patients/faq091.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20150716T1631486138. Accessed July 16, 2015.
- Postpartum depression facts. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/postpartum-depression-facts/index.shtml. Accessed July 16, 2015.
- Roy-Byrne PP. Postpartum blues and unipolar depression: Epidemiology, clinical features, assessment, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 21, 2015.
- Roy-Byrne PP. Postpartum blues and unipolar depression: Prevention and treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 21, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Depression during pregnancy and postpartum. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Marder S. Postpartum psychosis: Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, assessment, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 22, 2015.
- Marder S. Treatment of postpartum psychosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 22, 2015.
- Butler Tobah YS (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 27, 2015.
- American Academy of Pediatrics. Intrapartum and postpartum care of the mother. In: Guidelines for Perinatal Care. 7th ed. Elk Grove Village, Ill.: American Academy of Pediatrics; Washington, D.C.: American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists; 2012.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 29, 2015.