If you have a history of depression — especially postpartum depression — tell your doctor if you're planning on becoming pregnant or as soon as you find out you're pregnant.
Aug. 11, 2015
- During pregnancy, your doctor can monitor you closely for signs and symptoms of depression. He or she may have you complete a depression-screening questionnaire during your pregnancy and after delivery. Sometimes mild depression can be managed with support groups, counseling or other therapies. In other cases, antidepressants may be recommended — even during pregnancy.
- After your baby is born, your doctor may recommend an early postpartum checkup to screen for signs and symptoms of postpartum depression. The earlier it's detected, the earlier treatment can begin. If you have a history of postpartum depression, your doctor may recommend antidepressant treatment or psychotherapy immediately after delivery.
- Depressive disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed July 16, 2015.
- Depression during and after pregnancy. WomensHealth.gov. https://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/depression-pregnancy.html. Accessed July 1, 2015.
- Postpartum depression. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/pi/women/resources/reports/postpartum-dep.aspx. Accessed July 16, 2015.
- Frequently asked questions. Labor, delivery, and postpartum care FAQ091. Postpartum depression. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/-/media/For-Patients/faq091.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20150716T1631486138. Accessed July 16, 2015.
- Postpartum depression facts. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/postpartum-depression-facts/index.shtml. Accessed July 16, 2015.
- Roy-Byrne PP. Postpartum blues and unipolar depression: Epidemiology, clinical features, assessment, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 21, 2015.
- Roy-Byrne PP. Postpartum blues and unipolar depression: Prevention and treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 21, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Depression during pregnancy and postpartum. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Marder S. Postpartum psychosis: Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, assessment, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 22, 2015.
- Marder S. Treatment of postpartum psychosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 22, 2015.
- Butler Tobah YS (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 27, 2015.
- American Academy of Pediatrics. Intrapartum and postpartum care of the mother. In: Guidelines for Perinatal Care. 7th ed. Elk Grove Village, Ill.: American Academy of Pediatrics; Washington, D.C.: American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists; 2012.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 29, 2015.