Coping and supportBy Mayo Clinic Staff
The already stressful, exhausting period following a baby's birth is more difficult when depression occurs. But remember, postpartum depression is never anyone's fault. It's a common medical condition that needs treatment.
So, if you're having trouble coping with postpartum depression, talk with a therapist. Ask your doctor or therapist about local support groups for new moms or women who have postpartum depression.
The sooner you get help, the sooner you'll be fully equipped to cope with depression and enjoy your new baby.
Aug. 11, 2015
- Depressive disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed July 16, 2015.
- Depression during and after pregnancy. WomensHealth.gov. https://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/depression-pregnancy.html. Accessed July 1, 2015.
- Postpartum depression. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/pi/women/resources/reports/postpartum-dep.aspx. Accessed July 16, 2015.
- Frequently asked questions. Labor, delivery, and postpartum care FAQ091. Postpartum depression. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/-/media/For-Patients/faq091.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20150716T1631486138. Accessed July 16, 2015.
- Postpartum depression facts. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/postpartum-depression-facts/index.shtml. Accessed July 16, 2015.
- Roy-Byrne PP. Postpartum blues and unipolar depression: Epidemiology, clinical features, assessment, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 21, 2015.
- Roy-Byrne PP. Postpartum blues and unipolar depression: Prevention and treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 21, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Depression during pregnancy and postpartum. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Marder S. Postpartum psychosis: Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, assessment, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 22, 2015.
- Marder S. Treatment of postpartum psychosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 22, 2015.
- Butler Tobah YS (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 27, 2015.
- American Academy of Pediatrics. Intrapartum and postpartum care of the mother. In: Guidelines for Perinatal Care. 7th ed. Elk Grove Village, Ill.: American Academy of Pediatrics; Washington, D.C.: American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists; 2012.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 29, 2015.