Preparing for your appointment

By Mayo Clinic Staff

If your knee injury is severe, you may need to seek emergency medical care. In some cases, however, you may initially consult your family physician. He or she may refer you to a doctor who specializes in knee injuries or sports medicine.

What you can do

You may want to write a list that includes:

  • Detailed descriptions of your symptoms
  • Information about medical problems you've had in the past
  • Information about the medical problems of your parents or siblings
  • All the medications and dietary supplements you take

What to expect from your doctor

Your doctor may ask some of the following questions:

  • How did you injure your knee? When did it happen?
  • What symptoms are you experiencing?
  • Do you have a history of previous knee injuries?
March 01, 2014