Find out how acupuncture works, who should avoid it and what conditions it can treat.
Therapy animals can provide comfort during illness and help speed recovery.
Alcoholism is a physical and psychological dependence on alcohol that can cause serious health and social problems. But treatment can help.
Coping and support
Take on damaging judgments based on false stereotypes.
Is your child dealing with a mental health condition? Recognize the warning signs.
Treatments and drugs
Cognitive behavioral therapy is one of the most common types of psychotherapy. It focuses on specific issues and goals to improve your life.
Psychotherapy is one way to treat many mental illnesses. See how therapy is used and which type may be best for you.
Apr. 15, 2014
- Posttraumatic stress disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Nov. 5, 2013.
- Highlights of changes from DSM-IV-TR to DSM-5. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/changes%20from%20dsm-iv-tr%20to%20dsm-5.pdf. Accessed Oct. 8, 2013.
- Stress disorders. Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/psychiatric_disorders/anxiety_disorders/stress_disorders.html?qt=PTSD&alt=sh. Accessed Nov. 5, 2013.
- What is posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)? National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=posttraumatic_stress_disorder. Accessed Nov. 5, 2013.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/index.shtml. Accessed Nov. 5, 2013.
- Stein MB. Pharmacotherapy for posttraumatic stress disorder. http//www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 5, 2013.
- Rothbaum BO. Psychotherapy for posttraumatic stress disorder. http//www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 5, 2013.
- Helping a family member who has PTSD. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/pages/helping-family-member.asp. Accessed Nov. 9, 2013.
- Lifestyle changes recommended for PTSD patients. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/pages/coping-ptsd-lifestyle-changes.asp. Accessed Nov. 9, 2013.
- PTSD overview. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/pages/fslist-ptsd-overview.asp. Accessed Nov. 9, 2013.
- Depression. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/depression/index.shtml. Accessed Nov. 14, 2013.
- Lineberry TW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 30, 2013.
- Posttraumatic stress disorder. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx. Accessed Jan. 8, 2014.