Post-concussion symptoms include:
- Loss of concentration and memory
- Noise and light sensitivity
Headaches that occur after a concussion can vary and may feel like tension-type headaches or migraines. Most, however, are tension-type headaches, which may be associated with a neck injury that happened at the same time as the head injury.
In some cases, people experience behavior or emotional changes after a mild traumatic brain injury. Family members may notice that the person has become more irritable, suspicious, argumentative or stubborn.
When to see a doctor
See a doctor if you experience a head injury severe enough to cause confusion or amnesia — even if you never lost consciousness.
If a concussion occurs while you're playing a sport, don't go back in the game. Seek medical attention so that you don't risk worsening your injury.
Aug. 19, 2014
- Eisenberg MA, et al. Duration and course of post-concussive symptoms. Pediatrics. 2014;133:999.
- Guinto G, et al. Postconcussion syndrome: A complex and underdiagnosed clinical entity. World Neurosurgery. In press. June 5, 2014.
- Cancelliere C, et al. Systematic review of prognosis and return to play after sport concussion: Results of the International Collaboration on Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Prognosis. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2014;95:S210.
- Evans RW. Postconcussion syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 5, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 5, 2014.
- Traumatic brain injury: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tbi/detail_tbi.htm. Accessed June 5, 2014.
- Swanson JW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 11, 2014.
- Lucas S. Headache management in concussion and mild brain injury. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2011;3:S406.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.