The only known way to prevent post-concussion syndrome is to avoid the head injury in the first place.
Avoiding head injuries
Although you can't prepare for every potential situation, here are some tips for avoiding common causes of head injuries:
Aug. 19, 2014
- Fasten your seat belt whenever you're traveling in a car, and be sure children are in age-appropriate safety seats. Children under 13 are safest riding in the back seat, especially if your car has air bags.
- Use helmets whenever you or your children are bicycling, roller-skating, in-line skating, ice-skating, skiing, snowboarding, playing football, batting or running the bases in softball or baseball, skateboarding, or horseback riding. Wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle.
- Take steps around the house to prevent falls, such as removing small area rugs, improving lighting and installing handrails.
- Eisenberg MA, et al. Duration and course of post-concussive symptoms. Pediatrics. 2014;133:999.
- Guinto G, et al. Postconcussion syndrome: A complex and underdiagnosed clinical entity. World Neurosurgery. In press. June 5, 2014.
- Cancelliere C, et al. Systematic review of prognosis and return to play after sport concussion: Results of the International Collaboration on Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Prognosis. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2014;95:S210.
- Evans RW. Postconcussion syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 5, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 5, 2014.
- Traumatic brain injury: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tbi/detail_tbi.htm. Accessed June 5, 2014.
- Swanson JW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 11, 2014.
- Lucas S. Headache management in concussion and mild brain injury. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2011;3:S406.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.