Fetal macrosomia — Overview covers risk factors and complications related to delivering a large baby.
If you have a high-risk pregnancy, you might have questions. Will you need special prenatal care? Will your baby be OK? Get the facts about high-risk pregnancies.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tests and diagnosis
Amniocentesis — Overview covers definition, risks, results of this prenatal test.
Biophysical profile — Overview covers definition, risks, results of this prenatal test.
During pregnancy, fetal ultrasound allows your health care provider to check on your baby's growth and development. Find out more about the exam.
Glucose challenge test — Overview covers definition, preparation, results of this gestational diabetes screening test.
Nonstress test — Overview covers definition and results of this prenatal test.
Nov. 16, 2011
- Beloosesky R, et al. Polyhydramnios. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 5, 2011.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Disorders of amniotic fluid volume. In: Cunningham FG, et al. Williams Obstetrics. 23rd edition. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=6026246. Accessed Oct. 6, 2011.
- Polyhydramnios. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/complications_polyhydramnios.html. Accessed Oct. 6, 2011.
- Ross MG, et al. National institute of child health and development conference summary: Amniotic fluid biology — basic and clinical aspects. The Journal of Maternal-Fetal Medicine. 2001;10:2.
- Gilbert WM. Amniotic fluid disorders. In: Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1528/0.html. Accessed Oct. 6, 2011.
- Strehlow SL, et al. Diabetes mellitus & pregnancy. In: DeCherney AH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment Obstetrics & Gynecology. 10th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=9. Accessed Oct. 10, 2011.
- Carlo WA. High-risk pregnancies. In: Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Oct. 11, 2011.
- Screening for birth defects. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/faq/faq165.cfm. Accessed Oct. 10, 2011.
- Special tests for monitoring fetal health. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/faq/faq098.cfm. Accessed Oct. 10, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.