Polyhydramnios symptoms are a result of pressure being exerted within the uterus and on nearby organs.
Mild polyhydramnios may cause few — if any — signs or symptoms. Severe polyhydramnios may cause:
- Shortness of breath or the inability to breathe, except when upright
- Swelling in the lower extremities, vulva and abdominal wall
- Decreased urine production
Your health care provider may also suspect polyhydramnios if your uterus is enlarged but the baby's heartbeat and body contours are difficult to assess.
Nov. 16, 2011
- Beloosesky R, et al. Polyhydramnios. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Oct. 5, 2011.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Disorders of amniotic fluid volume. In: Cunningham FG, et al. Williams Obstetrics. 23rd edition. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=6026246. Accessed Oct. 6, 2011.
- Polyhydramnios. March of Dimes. http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/complications_polyhydramnios.html. Accessed Oct. 6, 2011.
- Ross MG, et al. National institute of child health and development conference summary: Amniotic fluid biology — basic and clinical aspects. The Journal of Maternal-Fetal Medicine. 2001;10:2.
- Gilbert WM. Amniotic fluid disorders. In: Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1528/0.html. Accessed Oct. 6, 2011.
- Strehlow SL, et al. Diabetes mellitus & pregnancy. In: DeCherney AH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment Obstetrics & Gynecology. 10th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=9. Accessed Oct. 10, 2011.
- Carlo WA. High-risk pregnancies. In: Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Oct. 11, 2011.
- Screening for birth defects. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/faq/faq165.cfm. Accessed Oct. 10, 2011.
- Special tests for monitoring fetal health. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/faq/faq098.cfm. Accessed Oct. 10, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.