Tests and diagnosis
A complete blood count can be used to evaluate your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
April 10, 2014
- Tefferi A. Diagnostic approach to the patient with suspected polycythemia vera. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 18, 2013.
- Polycythemia vera. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/poly/. Accessed Nov. 18, 2013.
- Tefferi A. Polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemia: 2013 update on diagnosis, risk-stratification, and management. American Journal of Hematology. 2013;88:508.
- Soriano G, et al. Polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemia: New developments in biology with therapeutic implications. Current Opinion in Hematology. 2013;20:169.
- Tefferi A. Prognosis and treatment of polycythemia vera. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 18, 2013.