Your Mayo Clinic care team
Mayo Clinic kidney specialists (nephrologists) and other doctors experienced in diagnosing and treating polycystic kidney disease — such as hypertension specialists, geneticists, neurologists, surgeons and radiologists — work together to develop a treatment plan that meets your needs. Mayo doctors also collaborate with research scientists to find new approaches.
Advanced diagnosis and treatment
Mayo Clinic is at the forefront of research into medications and therapies for managing polycystic kidney disease. Mayo Clinic researchers have discovered many of the genes that cause different forms of polycystic kidney disease.
This ongoing research means that in addition to standard therapies, you may also have access to new or emerging polycystic kidney disease therapies not available elsewhere.
Nationally recognized expertise
Mayo Clinic doctors are nationally recognized experts in the treatment of polycystic kidney disease.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., has been recognized as the best Nephrology hospital in the nation for 2016-2017 by U.S. News & World Report.
July 13, 2017
- Polycystic kidney disease. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/polycystic/. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Chapman AB, et al. Course and treatment of autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Polycystic kidney disease. American Kidney Fund. http://www.kidneyfund.org/kidney-disease/other-kidney-conditions/polycystic-kidney-disease.html?&gclid=Cj0KEQiA3Y7GBRD29f-7kYuO1-ABEiQAodAvwGAsS7ELsM8hNXkbCPt3pE8hsRp-kijSf4UAs-ZmPVgaArPQ8P8HAQ. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Bennett WM, et al. Extrarenal manifestations of autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Polycystic kidney disease. National Kidney Foundation. https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/polycystic. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Torres VE, et al. Diagnosis and screening for autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Albert CM, et al. Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease: The changing face of clinical management. The Lancet. 2015;385:1993.
- Rossetti S, et al. Identification of gene mutations in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease through targeted resequencing. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2012;23:915.
- Torres VE, et al. Strategies targeting cAMP signaling in the treatment of polycystic kidney disease. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2014; 25:18.
- Shoaf SE, et al. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of Tolvaptan in autosomal dominat polycystic kidney disease: Phase 2 trials for dose selection in the pivotal phase 3 trial. The Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. In press. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Hogan MC, et al. Somatostatin analog therapy for severe polycystic liver disease: Results after 2 years. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation. 2012;27:3532.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 24, 2017.
Polycystic kidney disease