Back pain can come on gradually or suddenly. Most back pain responds to home treatment within a few weeks.
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Frequent urination, the need to urinate more often than usual, can indicate several disorders of the urinary tract.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to various life-threatening conditions. But it's easily detected — and you can work with your doctor to control it.
Kidney stones often recur. Find out what causes kidney stones and how to prevent them.
A kidney transplant is a surgical procedure done to treat kidney failure.
Find out what to expect before and after your liver transplant.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Half of all women experience a urinary tract infection during their lifetimes. The condition can be a serious health problem when it involves the kidneys.
Jun. 14, 2014
- Polycystic kidney disease. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/polycystic/. Accessed March 29, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 29, 2014.
- Alpern RJ, et al. Seldin and Giebisch's The Kidney. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 29, 2014.
- Polycystic kidney disease. Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/polycystic.cfm . Accessed March 29, 2014.
- Taal MW, et al. Brenner & Rector's The Kidney. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 29, 2014.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 26, 2014.
- Devuyst O, et al. Osmoregulation, vasopressin, and cAMP signaling in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. Current Opinion in Nephrology and Hypertension. 2013;22:459.
- Rossetti S, et al. Identification of gene mutations in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease through targeted resequencing. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2012;23:915.
- Torres VE, et al. Strategies targeting cAMP signaling in the treatment of polycystic kidney disease. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2014; 25:18.
- Torres VE, et al. Tolvaptan in patients with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. New England Journal of Medicine. 2012;367:2407.
- Hogan MC, et al. Somatostatin analog therapy for severe polycystic liver disease: Results after 2 years. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation. 2012;27:3532.
- Castle EP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix /Scottsdale, Ariz. April 6, 2014.
- Heilman RL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz. April 7, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.