For polycystic kidney disease, certain tests can detect the size and number of kidney cysts you have and evaluate the amount of healthy kidney tissue, including:
- Ultrasound. During an ultrasound, a wandlike device called a transducer is placed on your body. It emits sound waves that are reflected back to the transducer — like sonar. A computer translates the reflected sound waves into images of your kidneys.
- CT scan. As you lie on a movable table, you're guided into a big, doughnut-shaped device that projects thin X-ray beams through your body. Your doctor is able to see cross-sectional images of your kidneys.
- MRI scan. As you lie inside a large cylinder, magnetic fields and radio waves generate cross-sectional views of your kidneys.
July 13, 2017
- Polycystic kidney disease. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/polycystic/. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Chapman AB, et al. Course and treatment of autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Polycystic kidney disease. American Kidney Fund. http://www.kidneyfund.org/kidney-disease/other-kidney-conditions/polycystic-kidney-disease.html?&gclid=Cj0KEQiA3Y7GBRD29f-7kYuO1-ABEiQAodAvwGAsS7ELsM8hNXkbCPt3pE8hsRp-kijSf4UAs-ZmPVgaArPQ8P8HAQ. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Bennett WM, et al. Extrarenal manifestations of autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Polycystic kidney disease. National Kidney Foundation. https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/polycystic. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Torres VE, et al. Diagnosis and screening for autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Albert CM, et al. Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease: The changing face of clinical management. The Lancet. 2015;385:1993.
- Rossetti S, et al. Identification of gene mutations in autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease through targeted resequencing. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2012;23:915.
- Torres VE, et al. Strategies targeting cAMP signaling in the treatment of polycystic kidney disease. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2014; 25:18.
- Shoaf SE, et al. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of Tolvaptan in autosomal dominat polycystic kidney disease: Phase 2 trials for dose selection in the pivotal phase 3 trial. The Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. In press. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Hogan MC, et al. Somatostatin analog therapy for severe polycystic liver disease: Results after 2 years. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation. 2012;27:3532.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 24, 2017.
Polycystic kidney disease