Sometimes, all you need for arm pain is home treatment. Other times, fractures and nerve problems can require extensive medical care.
Back pain can come on gradually or suddenly. Most back pain responds to home treatment within a few weeks.
Wonder about the benefits and risks of childhood vaccines? Get answers to your questions.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Joint pain can have many causes and can often be treated at home.
Leg pain can be the result of a long-term condition or a sudden injury.
Fever, headache and stiff neck are common signs and symptoms of meningitis — an infection of the membranes and fluid surrounding the brain and spinal cord.
Muscle pain can occur just about anywhere in your body, and there are lots of potential causes.
Neck pain can result from a wide variety of causes including injury, poor posture, and wear and tear on joints.
Sleep apnea causes people to repeatedly stop breathing during their sleep. Common signs of this sleep disorder include loud snores punctuated by periods of silence.
Mar. 11, 2014
- Jubelt B. Polio and infectious diseases of the anterior horn. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 27, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 27, 2013.
- Maurice J. Ending polio — If at first you don't succeed … . The Lancet. 2013;381:1261.
- Brunette GW, et. al. CDC Health Information for International Travel 2014: The Yellow Book. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2014/chapter-3-infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/poliomyelitis. Accessed Oct. 27, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 27, 2013.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 27, 2013.
- Lexell J, et al. Life satisfaction and self-reported impairments in persons with late effects of polio. Annals of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. 2012;55:577.
- Simionescu L, et al. Post-polio syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 4, 2013.
- Polio and prevention. The Global Polio Eradication Initiative. http://www.polioeradication.org/Polioandprevention.aspx. Accessed Nov. 4, 2013.
- Polio. National Network for Immunization Information. http://www.immunizationinfo.org/vaccines/polio. Accessed Nov. 4, 2013.
- Pediarix vaccine: Questions and answers. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/combo-vaccines/pediarix/faqs-hcp-pediarix.htm. Accessed Nov. 4, 2013.
- Steckelberg JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 5, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.