Paralytic polio can lead to temporary or permanent muscle paralysis, disability, and deformities of the hips, ankles and feet. Although many deformities can be corrected with surgery and physical therapy, these treatments may not be options in developing nations where polio is still common. As a result, children who survive polio may spend their lives with severe disabilities.
March 11, 2014
- Jubelt B. Polio and infectious diseases of the anterior horn. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 27, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 27, 2013.
- Maurice J. Ending polio — If at first you don't succeed … . The Lancet. 2013;381:1261.
- Brunette GW, et. al. CDC Health Information for International Travel 2014: The Yellow Book. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2014/chapter-3-infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/poliomyelitis. Accessed Oct. 27, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 27, 2013.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 27, 2013.
- Lexell J, et al. Life satisfaction and self-reported impairments in persons with late effects of polio. Annals of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. 2012;55:577.
- Simionescu L, et al. Post-polio syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 4, 2013.
- Polio and prevention. The Global Polio Eradication Initiative. http://www.polioeradication.org/Polioandprevention.aspx. Accessed Nov. 4, 2013.
- Polio. National Network for Immunization Information. http://www.immunizationinfo.org/vaccines/polio. Accessed Nov. 4, 2013.
- Pediarix vaccine: Questions and answers. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/combo-vaccines/pediarix/faqs-hcp-pediarix.htm. Accessed Nov. 4, 2013.
- Steckelberg JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 5, 2013.