The poliovirus resides only in humans and enters the environment in the feces of someone who's infected. Poliovirus spreads primarily through the fecal-oral route, especially in areas where sanitation is inadequate.
Poliovirus can be transmitted through contaminated water and food or through direct contact with someone infected with the virus. Polio is so contagious that anyone living with a recently infected person is likely to become infected, too. People carrying the poliovirus can spread the virus for weeks in their feces.
Mar. 11, 2014
- Jubelt B. Polio and infectious diseases of the anterior horn. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 27, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 27, 2013.
- Maurice J. Ending polio — If at first you don't succeed … . The Lancet. 2013;381:1261.
- Brunette GW, et. al. CDC Health Information for International Travel 2014: The Yellow Book. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2014/chapter-3-infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/poliomyelitis. Accessed Oct. 27, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 27, 2013.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 27, 2013.
- Lexell J, et al. Life satisfaction and self-reported impairments in persons with late effects of polio. Annals of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. 2012;55:577.
- Simionescu L, et al. Post-polio syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 4, 2013.
- Polio and prevention. The Global Polio Eradication Initiative. http://www.polioeradication.org/Polioandprevention.aspx. Accessed Nov. 4, 2013.
- Polio. National Network for Immunization Information. http://www.immunizationinfo.org/vaccines/polio. Accessed Nov. 4, 2013.
- Pediarix vaccine: Questions and answers. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/combo-vaccines/pediarix/faqs-hcp-pediarix.htm. Accessed Nov. 4, 2013.
- Steckelberg JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 5, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.