Lifestyle and home remediesBy Mayo Clinic Staff
A poison ivy rash will eventually go away on its own. But the itching can be hard to deal with and make it difficult to sleep. If you scratch your blisters, they may become infected. Here are some steps you can take to help control the itching:
Aug. 11, 2015
- Apply an over-the-counter corticosteroid cream for the first few days.
- Apply calamine lotion.
- Take oral antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl, others), which may also help you sleep better.
- Soak in a cool-water bath containing an oatmeal-based bath product (Aveeno).
- Place cool, wet compresses on the affected area for 15 to 30 minutes several times a day.
- AskMayoExpert. Contact dermatitis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Bolognia JL, et al., eds. Irritant and allergic contact dermatitis, occupational dermatoses and dermatoses due to plants. In: Dermatology Essentials. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 15, 2015.
- Wolff K, et al. Contact dermatitis. In: Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed June 15, 2015.
- Prok L, et al. Poison ivy (Toxicodendron) dermatitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 16, 2015.
- Poisonous plants. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/plants. Accessed June 15, 2015.
- Outsmarting poison ivy and other poisonous plants. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm049342.htm. Accessed June 15, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Poison ivy rash (adult and pediatric). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Patient education: Poison ivy. American Academy of Family Physicians. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 15, 2015.
- Poison ivy. Nursing. 2014;6:47.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 10, 2015.