- Experience. Every year, Mayo Clinic specialists treat more than 2,200 people with uncommon disorders of plasma protein metabolism, including POEMS syndrome.
- Expertise. POEMS syndrome can be difficult to diagnose. Mayo Clinic has doctors who specialize in diagnosing and treating protein disorders of the blood, such as POEMS.
- Excellent transplant care. Mayo Clinic is a leader in exploring the use of blood stem cell transplants to treat POEMS syndrome.
- New ideas. Mayo Clinic researchers work to improve treatment of POEMS syndrome. You have access to the expertise of Mayo's clinician-researchers.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Jul. 17, 2014
- AskMayoExpert. What are the signs and symptoms of POEMS syndrome? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Daroff RB, et al. Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Saunders; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 29, 2014.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. POEMS syndrome. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Dispenzieri A. POEMS syndrome: 2014 update on diagnosis, risk-stratification and management. American Journal of Hematology. 2014;89:213.
- Rajkumar SV. POEMS syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 29, 2014.
- POEMS syndrome. Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center. http://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/gard/7411/poems-syndrome/resources/1. Accessed April 29, 2014.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 12, 2014.
- D'Souza A, et al. Long-term outcomes after autologous stem cell transplantation for patients with POEMS syndrome (osteosclerotic myeloma): A single-center experience. Blood. 2012;120:56.
- Humeniuk MS, et al. Outcomes of patients with POEMS syndrome treated initially with radiation. Blood. 2013;122:68.
- Dispenzieri A. How I treat POEMS syndrome. Blood. 2012;119:5650.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.