Why choose Mayo ClinicBy Mayo Clinic Staff
July 17, 2014
- Experience. Every year, Mayo Clinic specialists treat more than 2,200 people with uncommon disorders of plasma protein metabolism, including POEMS syndrome.
- Expertise. POEMS syndrome can be difficult to diagnose. Mayo Clinic has doctors who specialize in diagnosing and treating protein disorders of the blood, such as POEMS.
- Excellent transplant care. Mayo Clinic is a leader in exploring the use of blood stem cell transplants to treat POEMS syndrome.
- New ideas. Mayo Clinic researchers work to improve treatment of POEMS syndrome. You have access to the expertise of Mayo's clinician-researchers.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the signs and symptoms of POEMS syndrome? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Daroff RB, et al. Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Saunders; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 29, 2014.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. POEMS syndrome. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Dispenzieri A. POEMS syndrome: 2014 update on diagnosis, risk-stratification and management. American Journal of Hematology. 2014;89:213.
- Rajkumar SV. POEMS syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 29, 2014.
- POEMS syndrome. Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center. http://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/gard/7411/poems-syndrome/resources/1. Accessed April 29, 2014.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 12, 2014.
- D'Souza A, et al. Long-term outcomes after autologous stem cell transplantation for patients with POEMS syndrome (osteosclerotic myeloma): A single-center experience. Blood. 2012;120:56.
- Humeniuk MS, et al. Outcomes of patients with POEMS syndrome treated initially with radiation. Blood. 2013;122:68.
- Dispenzieri A. How I treat POEMS syndrome. Blood. 2012;119:5650.